Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Do Something Wednesday

"We never know the worth of water till the well is dry."  ~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

There may be millions of people but there is only one Earth. We, as the people who live on this Earth, need to contribute to helping the environment in order to for the generations to come to have a safe place to live. So many times people take advantage of where we live and what we have by just needlessly wasting and creating a ton of trash that kills the environment. Every piece of paper you throw out or every soda bottle you put in the trash rather than recycle, you don't think about how it effects the environment but everything we do on this Earth effects our surroundings.  So I am promoting that people take a stand and do something good for the environment because even the smallest thing does help. 

My inspiration came from the Environmental Science class I took this past fall. I took the class because I figured it would be an easy class to take science I am not naturally a math or science person. Well that class was hard but more importantly, it taught me that people are unaware of our effect on our surroundings. Our Final project was called Do Something Now, where we had to change something in our own lives that helps the environment and record our journey. Well, being the creative type, I chose to make plarn out of grocery bags and create a purse. It took over 30 bags to create the purse which is a month worth of groceries in my family. If these bags would be thrown out, they would sit in a landfill for 100s of years because plastic does not break down and is not healthy for ground or water supply near the landfill. My Plarn Purse is now listed in my Etsy shop along with a couple of other plarn creations.

Helping the environment has become a passion of mine and I want to inspire other people to take small steps to help. Do Something Wednesday will feature posts about the environment and feature sellers who are making creations out of recycled materials that help the environment. 

*If you would like to purchase my Plarn Purse please follow this link: Plarn Purse

No comments:

Post a Comment